During the year 1916, the Institution was started under the name and style of the “The Madras Trades School” for imparting Training to apprentices in Mechanical Engineering and Plumbing Trades with an intake of 20 trainees in each course. Gradually, the numbers of courses conducted were increased and also correspondingly admission capacity rose. In the year 1931, the name of the Trade School was changed to “The Government School of Technology” and the courses in the Mechanical and Electrical Engineering subjects were recognized and made full time courses leading to the award of Diploma. In the year 1946, the name of the Institution was changed to “The Central Polytechnic College”. In the beginning, the Madras Trade school was functioning in a rented building and in the course of time, a separate building was constructed at Broadway and the Institution moved to its own building at Broadway. Till the academic year 1957-1958, the institution was functioned at Broadway. During the year 1958-1959 the Institution had been shifted to Guindy near the Industrial Estate. Since the land available in Guindy was not sufficient to construct additional buildings and also to create additional infrastructure for further development of the Institution, lands to the extent of 40 hectares initially and further 3221 hectares were acquired in the present premises where the Polytechnic is functioning presently. Central Polytechnic College was selected on the basis of merit for the implementation of TEQIP and this Institution is functioning under Block Grant system with effect from 1st October 2008.
Central Polytechnic College, Tharamani, Chennai offering high quality diploma certificate level technical engineering and need based- skill-oriented programmes through full–time, part-time and continuing education is to expand and partnerships with industries, business, higher learning educational institutions and local bodies for mutual development through relevant training programmes. This institution is to develop, enhance and standardize the competencies of the staff through pedagogical, skill development and industrial exposure in co-ordination with net working institutions for the benefit of student’s community in placements. The institution as a whole believes in quality through excellence, accessibility and high ethical, moral standards while adopting a participatory and transparent approach in all its activities.
The Central Polytechnic College, a government institution aims to offer technical education to eligible candidates to make available competent technician force to industry and organization with a focus on economical and social uplift of the community by full-time, part-time diploma and post diploma programs in specific area of engineering and technology by optimum utilization of infrastructure, human resources, linkage with industries and strives for academic excellence.
Dr. E.M. SRINIVASAN, M.E., Ph.D